5.9.08

LASIK - 准分子激光原位角膜磨镶术(Laser in situ keratomileusis)

After procrastinating for a few years, I plucked up sufficient courage and decided to do LASIK. My courage has probbaly got to do with the improvement in technology, now that the flap on the cornea is created bladeless - done using laser as well.

I chose Parkway Eye Centre because two of my colleagues have had their surgeries carried out there successfully and also because Dr Lee Hung Ming is very well known and he has a very good track record. I searched many forums on lasik and his was one of the few clinics that has no negative feedback.

My surgery was done on Wednesday 3 Sep 08 and now I can type on this PC without glasses, although vision is still generally hazy and double-imaged. On my post-op check yesterday, the doctor said that I was recovering well and my recovery will take longer because my myopia was very high.

And because of my high myopia, I had no option but to choose the most expensive customised intralase LASIK which was tissue-saving, meaning less cornea would be laser-ed off. The total cost of the surgery came to $4788 and adding the $179 I paid for the pre-op check, the total cost is almost $5k.

After the op, I met a friend from uni who has came for his pre-op check. His myopia was only 150 degrees! Yet he chose to have LASIK and he wanted the intralase as well, although Parkway has a promotion now for normal "blade" LASIK at $996 per eye.

Dr Lee informed that the main risk of LASIK is infection but he proudly said that he has done over 10,000 operations and none of his patients had infection, and told me not to break his record! To prevent infection, I was given three different eye-drops to administer, one anti-infllammation, one antibiotic and one normal eye driop. For the first day, each eye drop had to be used 1-2 hourly, after the first day, this would reduce to every 3-hourly.

I will blog more about the operation itself in a subsequent post. My eyes are tired!

No comments: