16.12.09

My own journey with bilingualism

I did well enough in my PSLEs to qualify for a SAP (Special Assistance Plan) school which teaches both English and Chinese as first languages. I owe this satisfactory outcome to my mother who had to spend what limited extra money we had in those days for English and Mathematics tuition for me; Ben and I went to tuition together but that story is for another post.

I grew up in an all-chinese family. My standard of english up, till secondary school, was rather poor and this was not helped by having predominantly chinese friends and playmates. I recall now being very nervous when speaking with my malay and indian classmates in english.

Realising this weakness, I deliberately chose to study, in secondary school, english literature instead of chinese literature which most of my good friends did. In E. Lit class, I remember my teacher Miss Foo would have us to read aloud passages from texts such as "Things Fall Apart" and "To Kill a Mockingbird". I must have impressed my teacher somewhat in my english oratory abilities that I was asked to represent the class in a debating competition. That experience was both agony and enlightenment. I was shaking when it was my turn to stand and speak, my hands twitched, I stammered and I was an obvious nervous wreck. I was so embarassed that I told myself it was time to improve.

The trouble was although we were in a SAP school, the focus was actually on learning a higher level of chinese and not english. So to practise english, when speaking (or scolding) the NPCC squad which I was in charge of, I would only use english. I would like to think this gave me added confidence in using the language later in my life.

On the other hand, as we were a SAP school, the methods of learning chinese were decidedly traditional with lots of tingxue and moxie. Long bus journeys were the perfect time to study the textbook in preparation for quizzes although this severely damaged my eyesight. But becuase of my background growing up speaking chinese, I never had any serious problems in chinese.

Since I started working, what I had to continue improving though was writing in english: in being clear in explaining, appreciating the flow of ideas and tightening prose. And this has so far been a daily learning process that will probably never stop.

So my take on the current bilingualism issue is this. Based on my personal experience, the environment a child grows up in is crucial. In Singapore's context, if a parent appreciates the importance of chinese, then chinese should be the dominant language at home. As for english, there will be more than ample opportunities to develop proficiency or even mastery of the language in formal settings such as in school or work.

No comments: